Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.

I lived in a apartment years and had 4 major roof leaks ..

Customer Question

I lived in a apartment for 5 years and had 4 major roof leaks .. Black mold in the ceiling causing my daughter to always be at the doctor for upper respiratory infections .. So when I moved out giving them short notice they want to charge me a months rent . They are also trying to charge me for carpet saying it was flea infested.. I didn't have fleas and I paid $400 pet deposit when I moved in .. Do I need to pay these fees to get it off my credit report
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
How long ago did this happen? Did they sue for damages?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I moved out at the end of November.. They sent me a letter about the charges and then sent it to collections
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have pictures of the last roof leak and pictures of the mold stain on my ceiling.. Reciepts from doctor visits and pictures of expired fire extinguisher from 1982
Thank you for your reply.
You have two options. First, if you pay them, the remark will not actually come off your credit report, it would just be changed to paid in full. That is one option. Your second option if you dispute the charges and they breached the contract in not providing a habitable premises, which they did by not fixing the leaking ceiling and cleaning out the black mold, which was why you moved out, is you need to sue them for breach of contract in court and seek damages against them including the cost of your move and return of your security deposit.
So you can sue them in small claims court in PA within 4 years of their breach of contract and the maximum damages in small claims is up to $12,000. You do not need an attorney in small claims and you can sue without one. If you prove your case in small claims, then they would be forced to remove the mark from your credit report completely.