Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert

Landlord let herself into my (paid for) apt. without

Customer Question

Landlord let herself into my (paid for) apt. without permission or notice. Can she be fined for this? (Yelled at my daughter and said she wanted to "show" apt. Again, NO notice. Just opened door with her key & started yelling).
Rented it "furnished" but supplied a busted bed. Didn't bring in a new bed for 3 weeks.
Kept $200 of my security deposit for items I didn't break (claimed she needed new parts for an old washing machine).
I want my $200 back.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Which state is this in? Also, what was the explanation for failing to provide notice? And was the reason to enter just to show the apartment to another potential tenant?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was a short-term tenant - four months. All monies paid up-front. I wanted to leave early & asked if she'd pro-rate (and give me some of my money back). She said "no." I said, I'd be staying until lease was up on 5/20. So...she says she thought I was "gone," though I have texts telling her I'd be there until 5/20. She let herself in to my apartment, yelled at my daughter (actually told her to "clean this up because I'm going to show it this afternoon." I called her & said she had no right to enter, much less a right to yell at my daughter. Her response: "I thought you were gone."
She claims I broke two parts on her washing machine (though machine is old - at least 5 years). Machine was testy and hard to use throughout my stay. I notified her toward the end of all that was wrong with it. She deducted $200 from my $4,500 security deposit, claiming she had to replace parts I broke.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry - you asked state: New York. Specifically, NoHo in Manhattan.