Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert

I had a 6 month lease upon completion I was to lease

Customer Question

I had a 6 month lease upon completion I was to lease purchase the house if I wanted, I didn't t, the owner was asking more than the house was worth.
He got pissed that he wasn't seeing it,I got a funny feeling and my gut told me to move out so I did and I stayed in a hotel for 3 weeks until something fell out of the sky.
I have been out of the rental now for almost 4 months and I get an email from the HO saying that he wants to invoke my lease and is asking me to pay the remainder 4 months that I haven't nor will I get keys to the rental house because he hasn't sold it yet. Now upon giving him the keys , he asked for and then told me I wasn't not allowed to go back to the rental I asked him if he expected mr to pay the rent for that month since it had fallen to the beginning of the month he said"well technically thats what you should do but no I am not going to expect that out of you. He was sure that he was selling the house and now that he hasn't want to sue me for 5600$ . My question is how long does he have to claim that money? What are the laws that protect me in not having to pay all that?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 4 months ago.

Hello Gina and thank you for using the Just Answer website. I look forward to assisting you but I will need some additional information from you before I can help you. First, in what city and state was the house located? When did your actual lease finish and when did you move out?

Who or what is the HO? Did you move out before the lease ended? If no, can you please clarify what you mean by "the remainder 4 months"?