Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I have a tenant living in my home renting it I want to sell

Customer Question

I have a tenant living in my home renting it I want to sell the home and need to know how many months I have to give him to vacate his lease is not up
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

How much time is left on the lease?

Also, does the lease have any language in it about this situation?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
6 months there is no language concerning me selling the house

Without language allowing you to terminate the lease under your facts he is entitled to live there until the six months is up. If the lease doesn't specify how much notice has to be given for it not to renew, then it depends on what state you are in. Most of them require a thirty day notice but if you will tell me your state I can look it up for you.