Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

If the tennant has just been given a terminal, chronic

Customer Question

If the tennant has just been given a terminal, chronic diagnosis, and has to stay in bed, with 24hr access to the kitchen and the bathroom, and is very ill, and already on disability does the owner have the right to still have the new potential buyers do a walk through and a 3 hr inspection even though the tennant is not well enough to leave the unit?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything. If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. Also, I am on a mobile unit, which automatically asks you to submit a rating once I submit a response – but please don't feel like you need to do so until we are done speaking. The answer to your question is yes. Though it may seem inconsiderate, there's no basis in the law for denying the walk through and inspection whether or not the tenant is well enough to leave the unit. In fact, if the tenant was asked to leave, perhaps then the owner/landlord might be considered to have acted inappropriately (though, likely, not even then illegally). I'm sorry - I know you wanted to hear something else but I want you to know the actual law, even if it's not what you want to hear.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Even if there is the possibility of bodily fluids being present? Per OSHA regulations

There can be bodily fluids in theory in any residence.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it is alright to submit these people to that?

Presumably if these people were in the house for three hours they were alright with the conditions. The landlord has not violated any regulations by permitting someone to look at the apartment, unless there is something in your lease that prevents that from occurring. Leases generally state what landlords are or are not permitted to do.

Is there anything else I can help you with?