Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert

I have just moved in a Townhouse, leasing with the options

Customer Question

I have just moved in a Townhouse, leasing with the options to buy at the end of my lease. But month in someone tried to break in the home at 2:30 am wit me in the home asleep. I I heard the noise, looked to see if I saw any thing. But woke to see my back door/ patio door was damage. two pane glass was was damaged, the other not yet.
I called the Landlord to tell him about the incident and he said call the police, As I had already did. But the police didn't show up till 2 and a half hours later. I did a police report, said the door was unsafe. I had been calling and texting the Landlord from the start stating at 10:58am. He never came and avoided my calls. I started to text and still no return calls. I went to alert my neighboros of the situation and 3 neighboros came to look at the back door. The Land lord called and was very nasty to me, He stated this was my home with lease option to buy, and I must understand the the lease agreement. I was not given the lease when I singed it, I call several times and he stated He e-mailed it 20 times. I never saw or received and e-mail giving me the lease on line.
I want to know my rights, What I can do to assure my safety, My money I invested in this home, and what the land the Landlord is still responsible for?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to answering your question.

Before we begin, a bit more detail would be helpful please.

Was there a failure in the door or window which was caused by the landlord's breaching the lease?

Does the lease provide any obligations or representations regarding security or security equipment (alarms, for example) from the landlord?

Does the landlord have an obligation in the lease to replace the door?