Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney 35 years extensive and active real estate practice; represents both landlords and tenants

We had a minor gas leak in basement the tenants called the

Customer Question

we had a minor gas leak in basement the tenants called the gas co. We had a plumber come and fix it. The gas co.. switched the gas bill into my name because there is a gas line that goes to the garage Heater that the tenants didn't have access to. The heater was not turned on. They were verbally told that their utilities were hooked to the garage. But were not being used. The lease states that they are responsible for gas/electric. They just moved out and are refusing to reimburse me for gas bill. I have not returned their full deposit because I am going to deduct gas bill. They also have not returned their keys and I had to change all the locks, plus they stayed 4 days longer than they payed rent for. Can I legally deduct all this from deposit?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 4 months ago.

Yes, you may deduct all of those items. If the tenants thought they were being improperly charged for gas service to the garage, it would have been an easy matter for the tenant to disconnect the gas line to the garage.

Please enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5, for which there is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for us in g JUST ANSWER.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm happy that I can deduct all that. They state that they're going to take me to court. If I win there I'll be very happy with your answer. If I lose I obviously won't be.

Taking someone to court is one of those things that is much easier said than done. If they rented the house, the garage went with it I presume whether they heeded it and used it or not. The charge for the keys, locks and four days overstay are certainly chargeable to them.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The garage did not come with the duplex as it was used for my storage. I stay in Fl September thru may. They rented from Jan - June. They had a different storage area

I don't that changes anything.