rayanswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a Texas lawyer dealing in landlord tenant

My name is Ilene. Recently my mom got accepted 8 voucher but

Customer Question

Hello, my name is***** my mom got accepted for section 8 voucher but can her landlord reject her, even though he has already tenants with section 8. I am asking this because since he has giving a hard time to my mom on the past and i aM afraid he will decline my mom's voucher, maybe because :
1-my mom has 40 years on the same apartment and pays @ $700 dollars instead $1500 (for a 2 bedroom apartment in tha area), wich is reason number 1 for him to make my mom move.
Another important point : he took over the building not to long ago, and some of the tenants had have already section 8 program.
Could he still decline the voucher because those section 8 tenant were there before he got the building and now he got the right to decline new tenants?What are my rights?
Does any law protects?
I know i will have to get a lawyer if he dosen't cooperates but first i want to have some advice.
Thanks !
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  rayanswers replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

The landlord can loose their HUD contract here and be charged with discrimination.It is guaranteed money as well and he is unlikely to turn this down.

If you need to involve HUD here is where you would file a complaint..

LChicago Regional Office
Ralph Metcalfe Federal Building
77 West Jackson Boulevard
Chicago, IL###-##-####NTONIO RILEY
Regional Administrator(312)(###) ###-####br />Fax(###) ###-####br />Email

Region V
Chicago IL

You can email them or call if h e refuses the voucher.Since he has other HUD tenants he has a lot to loose here.I think he will decide to take her voucher in this case.Thanks again and the best here.

Cook County has additional protection by ordinance

You have rights here as a tenant and he has to accept your voucher or loose all his tenants on the program if they terminate him.