Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

My family has been renting years. A new lease has been given

Customer Question

Hello, my family has been renting for 25 years. A new lease has been given to us with a major change in the amount paid for rent. However we are requesting that the house be updated as well. In the 25 years that we have lived here there has been no maintenance done by the landlord. We have purchasedour own refrigerator, stove, water heater, washer, and dryer. The old dish washing machine never worked and has never been replaced. We did ask for new carpets in Nov 2014 and our rent was raised from 1500 to 1700. It was the very first time we had the carpets changed in 25 years. There are a few things that need to be updated in the house we are renting. Is it legal for our landlord to raise our rent over these problems? I live in South San Francisco, ca
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 6 months ago.

Unless the premises are rent controlled, the landlord, if there is no current lease, can seek to increase the rent in a new lease. Tenant is free to accept, negotiate or move out.