Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert

I signed a one month lease apartment in October 2014. I paid

Customer Question

I signed a one month lease for an apartment in October 2014. I paid my one month rent ($730) and left the apartment when the lease was over. I have not heard anything from them since, but today got a call from a collection agency claiming that I owe $730 termination fee since I did not give 30 days written notice. I informed them when I moved in that I would only be there for 30 days so I do not see how that could possibly be applicable. Should I dispute this? Can they report this to the credit bureau at this point?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.
Do you have a written copy of this lease and does the lease state that a 30 day notice is required to terminate the lease?