Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in Landlord-Tenant Law.

If I have a lease snackshop from aug 1st 2015 year lease

Customer Question

if I have a lease for a snackshop from aug 1st 2015 for 1 year lease ends on July 31st 2016. but I received a letter today june 3rd from my landlord that my lease will not be renewed and that my last day is now June 18th 2016 my question is can I leave before that date and still be intitle to my deposit
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 4 months ago.

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Generally, if the written lease states that the lease expires on July 31st, 2016, the landlord cannot unilaterally end the lease early (without proper cause, such as tenant being delinquent on rent payments or other breach of lease by the tenant), so the commercial tenant would be legally entitled to stay on the commercial property until the expiration of the original written lease.

So it would make sense generally to inform the landlord of the tenant's right to finish the remainder of the lease by certified mail with return receipt required for your record and also another option would be to suggest that if the landlord wishes to end the lease early the tenant might agree to do so for a certain amount of compensation (which can be determined at the tenant's discretion.

I wish you the best of luck!