Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

When I moved into the basement at this house ,there were

Customer Question

My name is Trinh ******: when I moved into the basement at this house ,there were dead rats surrounding the water heater. I complained to the landlord and ge dud not removed the rat. iu coulkd smell the rat in the basement, so I used newspaper to seal the smell bin the water heater room.i still hear rats moving in the wall and ceiling. I also noticed some water keaking into the unit when it first rain. I complained to the landlord and he did not do anything about it. in mid-march 2016, it began to rain hard. the basemenbt flooded up to my ankles in one part of the unit. I complained to the landlord and asked him to fix the problem. so he and his wife came down to my basement and look at it and offered to move mny belongings from one side of the unit to the other. I toll them that was it was too late and that my things were already soaked, he and his wife did not respond to me when I asked him to fix the leak that lead to the flooding. Now the wanted to kick me out so they can fix the basement which I have to be in court on 06/03/2016 for unlawful detainer. There a local legal office help me with the paperwork but then I have to so up in court by my self without an attorney. I would like to asked for help and addive.
Thank you so much for your time.
Thank you
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

In which town is the property located?

Did the notice to vacate state a reason for ending your tenancy?

Have you checked to see if the landlord has a certificate of occupancy for the basement as a separate unit? How many tenants live in that building?