Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

On 6/1/2015 my landlord increased the rent. At the same time

Customer Question

On 6/1/2015 my landlord increased the rent. At the same time he declared (in writing) that he would not increase the rent on the next renewal (6/1/2016). Now he is asking for another increase. Is his written statement binding? Am I legally obligated to pay this latest increase? Thank-you.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

That written statement is binding if you relied upon it when renewing your lease. A promise to give someone a gift or do them a favor isn't binding unless there is consideration - meaning an exchange of promises. But if you agreed to stay for another year and pay rent from 6/1/15 through 6/1/16 because he promised not to increase the rent, he's going to be held to that. What it's going to come down to is whether that statement was part of the lease you signed or something he gave you after. If you had already agreed to stay, it's not binding on him. If you hadn't, it is.

With that said, if he didn't give you at least 30 days notice of this existing increase, you could claim that you relied upon that old statement in not looking for a new place and that he's therefore not allowed to collect an increased rent for June.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Did you have any other questions about this?