Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert

On 4/4/2016, my mother passed-away on her bed in her

Customer Question

On 4/4/2016, my mother passed-away on her bed in her apartment. More than the following week, the Site Manager named Shlone at(###) ###-####ex. 214 from around the corner came to my apartment and said that sooner or later I have to move elsewhere due to the fact that my name wasn't on the lease. I asked him I want my name to be put on the lease. He said yes as long as it's done legally.
Later on, the Recertification Manager named Ben(###) ###-####ex. 218 asked me to hand over the keys to the apartment due to the fact that after 2 attempts on convincing the top Managers to put my name on the lease whereas I sent 2 proofs that I reside there: a personal letter explaining my situation as well as 3 military separation and honorable discharged documents.
Now, I'm trying to stall time with them due to the fact that I don't have an attorney to represent me the proper way. I have one, but, can't hardly reach him and moves too slow to deliver. So far, I haven't heard from him as of yet sense this past Monday 5/16/16. I finally heard of him from a envelope he sent me which I received on 5/20/16 which states: "I do not see a way to provide representation in housing court or in an Article 78, due to the lack of a legal argument to raise."
I'm pushing for time due to the fact that Ben is expecting a call from me from 5/26/16 about sending him market value rent for 2 months in the amount of $1,061*2 month= $2,122 which I agreed upon. By the way, if he figures I could pay this amount which I can't, he figures that I don't need to be in Section 8 whereas I could move somewhere else in a much better neighborhood paying that amount. I'm getting to see the picture of this: my name can be put on the lease if I'm able to pay that high amount which I can't for a 1 bedroom apartment. To me, that's way too high for 1 bedroom apartment in the Brownsville area of Brooklyn.
To play it safe, just incase and even before he takes me to court, please contact him by 4pm to be my spokesperson or somebody else to let him know I mean business upon getting my name on the lease by 6/30/16 so he could receive his other part of the money which is $832 from HUD whereas I can continue to pay $229. My mom started to pay $229 a month sense this past March when it went up from $214. I want to continue to pay that amount and have succession rights to my moms former apartment.
On 5/26/16, I went to 26 Federal Plaza Suite 3200 to seek information about my situation. A man named Michael gave me a man named Hershy Beigel on who's in charged of the whole operation at the address below:
Truman Development & Management, LLC *****
Suite 277
Brooklyn, NY 11219 (###) ###-#### ***@******.***
Shlone and Ben withheld this persons information from me. They know he could be a very valuable source in this situation. What they telling me all along doesn't make any sense and cannot be trusted.
To be honest with you, I'm currently unemployed and diligently searching for work sense last year. As of now, no success. Currently, I'm an entrepreneur (Real Estate: Wholesaling Properties (Flipping); Art: Figure Modeling, Costume Modeling, Portrait Modeling and Photography Modeling; Travel and Leisure: Online Traveling Industry) seeking for other avenues to make money. So far, little to no success. I'm also a Disabled (10% rating); 50-Year-old Iraqi War Veteran in the Army from 2004 to 2005. So with saying that, I'm entitled to way more rights and benefits than expected as far this situation is concerned. Finally, I'm a Born-Again Christian praying that God will have his way in this situation. Also, my pastor, associate pastor as well is the congregation is aware of the situation and praying for me as well.
Conclusion: With the above information said, what action I and you must take in order to solve this issue in a very timely manner? I need your help in this very challenging time. Thank you.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  philip.simmons replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question.

This site can provide you information but no one on this site can represent you (including speak for you).

But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Mr. Simmons! My goal is to put my name on the lease. That's all I'm asking for. My landlord isn't allowing it. What I must do?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Mr. Simmons! Can I have your number? Because I'm not home yet. Thank you.

I sent the offer for a phone call. If you accept I can provide my #