LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Disputes, Leases, Evictions, Foreclosures.

I moved into a rental house on 4/15/16. on 4/13/16 the house

Customer Question

I moved into a rental house on 4/15/16. on 4/13/16 the house flooded and this ruined the kitchen hardwood floors and entire basement. I have been living with this hardwood floor not installed and the basement not finished now for 6 weeks and it looks like it will take a minimum of 2 more weeks to get complete. Is there anything I can do to break my lease and get out of this house?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon. Prior to taking possession, did you address this with the landlord?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
he said that he would work with me during the construction process. He stated that the construction would only take a couple of weeks. It has been 6 weeks and I still have no wood floors and the basement is not finished.

Thank you. You have two options here. The first, is to ask that the rent be reduced, as a result of this, the inconvenience and the rental not being in the same condition as agreed to when you signed the lease. However, if you took possession, knowing it was in this condition, you may not have a basis to simply break the lease and vacate, since the home is habitable. The second option would be to argue that this is interfering with your right to quiet enjoyment and the use of the rental and as a result of the delay, you want to vacate. If you moved in and took possession but this is now taking longer then expected, it may be hard to walk away and break the lease, since the landlord may try and sue you. This is why it could be better to try and work with him for a reduced rent, until this is complete.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.