barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years

I rent one apartment in leicester mass. The Lease package

Customer Question

I rent one apartment in leicester mass. The Lease package heading cover page includes 1) My Name as Landlord, 2) tenents name, 3) Lease Start Date Apirl 2, 2011.
Based on section 21 is Lease legally binding?????
The lease agreement will begin on April 2, 2011 and end on April 1, 2012
At the end of this lease Agreement, tenant shall have the option to renew the lease for an additional term that is equal to the initial term of this lease (Term of lease Agreement) pursuant to the terms and conditions contained herein.
If the tenant or Landlord does not wish to renew the lease, written notice must be given to the other party at least 60 days before the end of the term (term of Lease Agreement) to terminate the lease (including any exercised renewal or extension thereof)
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

I would opine the the lease renewal option would be legally binding as this is what is considered an "evergreen clause". It automatically renews the lease under the same terms and conditions as the original until one of the parties takes action to terminate it with proper notice. The term of the initial lease agreement was April 2, 2011 to April 1, 2012... But renewal lease terms would replicate that initial lease term exactly until either party gave proper notice to terminate it.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...