LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Disputes, Leases, Evictions, Foreclosures.
9540344

I am a tennent with a problem i pay may rent on time and we

Customer Question

i am a tennent with a problem i pay may rent on time and we did a walk threw found over 19 problems and promises where made to fix them,,waited over 8 months for one repair never happened,,,called building inspector he found over 16 voilations and took steps now i am being threaten with eviction and i am on disbility trying to live in peace was shot in kneck in kubul and unable to move what can i do ??? i feel like this is a retaliation knowing i am unable to move what can i do my lease is up in augest and she will not renew due to me calling inspector thank you,,,i am in janwsville wi phone #(###) ###-#### ***** is jerry
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Do you know why they failed to fix or remedy these violations?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she did not want to put out the money,,,one was water heater ieaking bad ,,finally replaced heating and air running same time aiso carpet was torn holy from weqar and tear holes in walls just a mess wanted the townhouse lost everything in flood so tmoved in before she did repairs ,,once i moved in she just ignored any textes or calls now that building inspector involved all threats of evictions jerry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if you can call with help better to explain at(###) ###-####if possible

Sorry for the delay. Allow me a moment

You are correct. The landlord can not retaliate against you for making requests for repairs, which they are obligated to do and then being upset and bothered, by you going to the inspector and filing a complaint about violations. This has to do with health, safety and habitability, so the landlord has a legal obligation to fix these things. If they fail to do so, they would be in breach and you could have a legal right to break the lease and vacate. Now, if they try and evict you and there is no violation of the lease and this is retaliation, then you have a defense. The issue is once the lease expires, the landlord does not have to renew the lease if they do not want to, so they good make up another reason to ask you to leave, even though it may be because of the history. If you can show she is retaliating, then you could sue for damages.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
really i have no course once my lease is up correct ????

The recourse would be to file a civil suit against them for damages if you can show they are retaliating against you for the complaints. You could recover monetary damages but can not force them to lease the rental to you.