Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney 35 years extensive and active real estate practice; represents both landlords and tenants

Madam: I live in a 16 apt bldg. in Cliffside park, NJ. Most

Customer Question

Dear sir/Madam:
I live in a 16 apt bldg. in Cliffside park, NJ. Most apartments are owned by individuals. I live in rented apt for last 20 years, owned by one same owner. Previously she used to own the building or many apartments in the building. Now she has sold the apt I live in on may 20, 2016. Until early or mid April 2016 there was no hint of apt sale. Sometime early April I reported to the owner toilet tank has started to leak. Owner said there has been death in the family, she will not be able take care of the problem for about a week to ten days. Time began to slip. on May 2, owner asked me to pay the building super $304 plus some cents for new toilet including $180 towards the cost of installation labor. This amount to be deducted by me from next months' rent (she probably had decided to sale the apartment). By May 20, the apartment was sold. Now the owner says apartment has been sold on as is basis, therefore new owner has to take care of my advance I made towards the toilet.
Twenty years ago, I had made a deposit to the landlord towards the rent. This deposit was held by the owner since 20 years. She has passed on the this deposit to new owner without any interest credit into the deposit. She has refused to pay any interest.
So far I have not been to contact the new owner if he is willing to assume responsibility towards my claims. I believe, it is the previous owners responsibility.
Awaiting your reply. Thanking you.
S. Rohra
May 27, 2016
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 4 months ago.

Good morning in NJ. When a person buys a property that is under a renal agreement, they must check with the tenant (you) to determine what rights and credits the tenant may have under their lease. The new owner will be subject to those rights, and will be able to claim credit against the purchase price from his seller. For all you know, perhaps those items were provided for between them already. Therefore, in your case, the reimbursement for the toilet expense and the original security deposit are still owed to you by the new owner. I'm not sure about 20 years of interest under NJ law. That has to be researched by a NJ attorney.

I hope that this ANSWER is helpful and that you will now enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks for using JUST ANSWER.