Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert

I am a current tenant at Camden Farmers Market. I noticed I

Customer Question

My name is***** and I am a current tenant at Camden Farmers Market. I noticed I start getting bites all over my body and was not sure from what. I contacted the Camden's and told them that something was biting me and I needed pest control to come. They sent someone out to do an inspection and of course they said they found nothing. Well that following night I received nearly twenty more bites. I was really upset and terrified because I had no clue what was biting. I did my own inspection and found bed bugs in my headboard. This totally freaked me out because I have never experienced anything like this before. I have never had a bug problem since I moved in back in June. I contacted them again and let them I located the problem and I needed pest control to come back asap. When they came I did not have the couch moved off the wall which was my fault because I rushed and signed the addendum because I was so freaked out. I did go to the office and speak with them about the problem because I felt like they were down playing the situation and not moving forward quick enough. They went on questioning my whereabouts and such making me feel as if I was the reason I had bed bugs. This made me very furious. It took them 3 days before they actually treated my apartment. I took to our community page and asked the other tenants in my building if they were having a similar problem. Well, two other tenants in my building said they had reported bed bugs prior to me. This was very frustrating when I was questioned like I caused the problem and they knew someone had already reported bed bugs in my building a few weeks before me. This is not at all ok. I feel that the other tenants in the building as well should of been given notice or something. I was bitten all over, itched horribly, and now I can not sleep because I am so paranoid. I have not been bitten since the treatment but I suffer from chronic fatigue because I toss and turn all night because this has been so traumatizing I can not sleep. I spoke with the leasing manager and regional director because I want to move. I pay too much in rent not to be able to rest peacefully. They want me to give a 60 day notice and pay nearly 3k in fees to break the lease that expires August 2016. I feel that I don't owe them a dime because I spent money on hotel fees, doctor visits, and I threw out my infested furniture. As far as I am concerned we are even and I shouldn't have to pay. I had to be put on anxiety medication but it is no help. The protocol for bed bugs in which they did not fully comply until after I reported bed bugs was to treat other surrounding units if an apartment is infested with bed bugs. I was in a surrounding unit(same building) of the prior apartment(s) with beg bugs. I simply want out of this lease immediately without penalty fees.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?