barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

We rent a lot and the manager says that we have to move our

Customer Question

we rent a lot and the manager says that we have to move our landscape so the guys can have eccess to the trailer next door , but there is another way they can get to it without us moving it , they can go around the other trailer to get to it , but she says we`re just renting the lot and we have to move it , don`t we have rights by saying no and that they can go around , and still have a way to get to it ? we have new owners and the woman is very rude , so what can we do ?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question..Can you tell me what state you are in?.Are you under a fixed term written lease or are you month to month?.Is there anything in your lease that says that the landlord reserves the right to restrict what is placed on the lot?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
michigan , no we have no lease
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
we live in a mobile home park
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
are you there ?
Just a couple minutes while I look a few things up please..
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no I just paid 34.00
Ok, the reason I ask is that you do have the legal right to simply say "no" to the manager's demand to remove the landscaping because when you are renting the lot, you are renting the entire lot and you have the right to "exclusive use and possession" of the property during the entire lease term..However.... if you get the manager mad at you, they could end up retaliating against you by doing things like increasing your rent since you are month to month.. In MI they have to have "just cause" to evict a mobile home tenant, so they couldn't do that. MCL(###) ###-#### .But they could bump up your rent by giving you a written 30 day notice and then you would be stuck with paying more for the lot since you aren't under a fixed term lease..So yes, you can refuse, but you might run the risk of the manager taking it out on you....thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
even if were not month to month , we`ve been here years before they brought the place
I am not sure I understand your comment... If you mean can they increase your rent, the answer is yes. Only when someone is under a written fixed term lease are they protected from a rent increase until the lease expires. A landlord can increase the rent with only a 30 day notice for a month to month tenant..So if the manger is a jerk, they could just decide to bump your rent if you didn't move the landscaping... Just something to think about because there are some mean managers out there who try to bully tenants if they challenge them....thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you so much
You are very welcome. Glad to help any time...If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me...thanks muchBarrister