AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
93913325

I am a mother of a child with Tourette Syndrome. My landlord

Customer Question

I am a mother of a child with Tourette Syndrome. My landlord sent me a letter stating that she won't be providing us with new lease in July due to the noise in the home. Letter states our neighbor upstairs has made complains and also outside neighbors. There has never been any complains made directly to us/or any officers in our apartment. I son was admitted into the CCIS unit last weekend and we received this letter today mailed yesterday. I don't have the strength to deal with now this with my son in the unit getting care to help him. Please what to do!!
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My son's melt downs are in the morning before school and some in the afternoon but he is in bed by 9pm. I have tried reaching my landlord and she has not responded to us. Also we noticed that the second letter has her "mother's signature" who is the owner of the house which is the first time she has signed anything for us (never met her).
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney and would like to assist you for informational purposes. You could tell the landlord that she is not to discriminate against your family based on disability, which is what she is doing. She rented to your family with full knowledge of your child's condition. You could point out that your child is quiet at night, and if there are complaints, the problem is not yours, but the problem is with the apartment unit, which appears to need better sound insulation.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Our landlord never asked about any of our health/ mental conditions and at that point he was only diagnosed with anxiety and tics disorder. for the last couple of months (puberty) it has manifested more but again I have never received any complains and refuses to return our calls.
Then, you should make the landlord aware of the disability, and that you are making sure she is aware so that she does not inadvertently discriminate based on disability.