How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 9703
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In DC is there a statute of limitations a previous tenant

Customer Question

In DC is there a statute of limitations for when a previous tenant can take you to court over her security deposit return? I returned it initially in Feb 2015 when she left (within the 45 days) however, she never received it as she gave me a wrong address. She didn't contact me until Jan 2016 about it however. I sent her another check and itemized letter of deductions shortly after. She just contacted me (May 2016) saying she disagrees with the content of the letter and is going to take me to small claims court. I think she is bluffing - but what are the landlords rights here?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
According to section 12-301, the statute of limitations for breach of contract is 3 years; it would be three years from the date of the breach- which would be allegedly when it was first returned (within the statutory 45 day time frame). That is located here However, if the landlord can prove that the withholdings were reasonable then the tenant would not prevail. There is also an equitable theory the court can take into consideration-laches:unreasonable delay in making an assertion or claim, such as asserting a right, claiming a privilege, or making an application for redress, which may result in refusal. So based on laches, the judge may deny the plaintiff's claim, asserting that the tenant waited to long to dispute any deductions to the security deposit. Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat. Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.(no additional charges are incurred). Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
Here is a brochure for landlords that may come in handy in the future:
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer.I hope the information provided was useful.Here is a link to the bar association's legal referral site: you have further questions please post here; otherwise kindly--- Rate Positively---so the site credits me for assisting you.Thank you and take care!

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions