TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

How can I take my landlord to court and retaliation

Customer Question

How can I take my landlord to court for discrimination and retaliation
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

By far the easiest way is to hire an attorney who can handle the entire matter for you. While this could be expensive, it's also going to give you the best chance of prevailing in court. When non-lawyers appear in court, especially as plaintiffs, they rarely win simply because they don't know or understand the rules of procedure and evidence. I recently heard a judge say in court that he's never seen a case with a non-lawyer who managed to get all of his/her evidence admitted.

In any event, if you don't want to retain an attorney, then you don't have to. It is your right to proceed without an attorney. You would first draft and then file a Complaint which makes your allegations against the landlord. You would then obtain a Summons from the court clerk, and have it served, along with the Complaint, on the landlord. From there, it depends on what the landlord does. He may do nothing, and you'll win by default, or he may file a Motion to Dismiss that you'll need to fend off. Ultimately, there could be a trial. Bear in mind that since you're the plaintiff, the burden will be on you to prove the case.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!