LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
15277592

I am currently having some trouble with my landlord, we were

Customer Question

Hi, I am currently having some trouble with my landlord, we were already given a notice of termination, however she keeps entering the house whenever, can I refuse entry to her while we are still paying rent?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good evening,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please. 1. For what purposes does the landlord keep entering, and how often is this happening?Doug
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All sorts of reasons she has, either to measure something, check to see if a dehumidifier that she randomly plugged in without telling us is running, and to work on the yard/paint the inside of the house (which she made us move all of our stuff upstairs so she could paint)
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good evening, For the most part, she is violating your lease and interfering with your quiet enjoyment of the rental. She may come in when you give the okay if it is to repair something that was agreed on, or in the case of an emergency. And she needs to give you 24 hour's notice of her intent to enter. For the majority of these things she has no right to enter and you can legally deny entry. She cannot make you move your belongings because she wants to paint inside. She can wait until you move to paint----unless you asked her to paint for you. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just some clarification as long as I didn't ask for the repair or the paint i can tell her that I do not want her entering the house, does that count for the fenced in backyard also?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good evening, Just some clarification as long as I didn't ask for the repair or the paint i can tell her that I do not want her entering the house, That is correct. does that count for the fenced in backyard also? If the lease agreement obligated the landlord to care for the yard, then you must give her reasonable access to the yard. If the lease obligates you to care for the yard, then you can keep her out of the yard. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What if we don't have a written lease because when it expired she said that there was no need to write a new one, (we have been living here without a lease and paying the rent and all the utilities for 2 years, and 1 year while the lease was still active) however in that lease it was our responsibility to upkeep the yard
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
The old lease still applies as regards ***** ***** the issues other than the amount of rent top be paid and the term of the lease.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
It sounds to me like you would definitely benefit from a phone call. I will make that offer to you. Please rate my service to you.Doug