Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

If i had black mold in my apartment, and told my landlord

Customer Question

If i had black mold in my apartment, and told my landlord about it, and they did nothing about it, can i sue them for putting me into a dangerous situation?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. You can sue them for constructive eviction (which means they made or allowed conditions to become so bad you were forced to move). As a part of this you can recover any costs of moving, etc. If you actually suffered any ill effects from the black mold and your doctor is willing to testify that the ill effects were related to the black mold then you can sue them for those ill effects. However, that is different than suing them because something could have possibly happened. The law doesn't allow lawsuits based on what might have happened only on what actually did happen. Please ask any follow up questions in this thread.