Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

If the landlord (sister) has not gone through the process of

Customer Question

If the landlord (sister) has not gone through the process of eviction and not given 45 days , but tenant moves out anyway to avoid conflict, the day off original conflict ...does the landlord still have 15 days to hold property?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. What state if the property located in? How much notice did the landlord give? Did the tenant have a lease for a set term?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hawaii, no lease. One sister(landlord) told the other sister (tenant) to leave and she did with no notice. She did pay 300 rent every month plus traded with babysitting and cleaning, picking up and caring for landlords children ect.
Thank you. The landlord has 14 days to return the tenant's security deposit after the tenancy agreement terminates. This is true whether the tenant leaves voluntarily or the landlord ends the tenancy. However, the landlord cannot keep the deposit to cover rent based on the fact that the tenant didn't give notice when the landlord made her leave immediately. The tenant WOULD be responsible for rent for 30 days if the landlord simply told the tenant of the intent to terminate the relationship without requiring the tenant to move out immediately.
Personal property left at the premises may only be sold if the landlord first sends a 15 day notice to the tenant's last known address.