philip.simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  10 years experience in the law

Is it legal landlord in boca raton fl to rent a single

Customer Question

is it legal for a landlord in boca raton fl to rent a single family home to 2 different tenants? My Mom just moved & its a nightmare. We have to split bills with a stranger is this legal? we each have separate leases
JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no i need to asap
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Real Estate Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Real Estate Lawyer should know?
Customer: Its a single-family home that the other tenant occupies the majority of the house, they took a large bedroom added a small kitchen & are renting that out. After we moved in we found out we have to pay water other guy pays majority & controls the electric & split cable. This now 3 months since she moved in, its a nightmare my mom wants out & other things like shes older & the landlord from day one called me saying she belongs in a nursing jhome not here which is total garbage. We want to sue him. We withheld May rent he served a notice to pay by May 25th. What he is doing is illegal & a big waste of my moms time & money
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  philip.simmons replied 5 months ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to helpAlso, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen. Can you tell me, was this disclosed to your mom when she entered into this rental agreement? That is, did she agree to sharing the home and to the terms you are describing?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No. We knew about the other tenant we were told a man & his son not 2 sons & his girlfriend. Didn't know we had to share utility bills. It all came after the lease was signed. Had no idea he controls the air conditioning. Led to believe it was,a separate apartment but it's still one house we just go through the back with our own door. The landlord definitely didn't get the zoning permits etc. He a rich guy lives in NY half the year, the tenant is nuts S a terrible situation. We want our money back plus moving legal fees & compensation for the inconvenience. And to do something if need be with the city. He sent a notice Friday to pay by the 25th for may he has last month & security but my mom is on a fixed income & has no way to move but she can't stay there
ThanksIf the landlord misled your mom on this...for example, claiming that she would not be liable for utilities and now charging them? Or if this other tenant is making the home "uninhabitable" based on his actions? That would be a basis to void their rental agreement (so mom could move out and recover her deposit) AND recover costs to move.But before she can do this, she must give the landlord notice, in writing, and the chance to correct this. So, for example, if the landlord claimed she would not have to pay utilities and now is demanding she pay them? She can tell the landlord, in writing, that if he does not fulfill his promises she will consider this a breach of contract.Bot***** *****ne: if the landlord misled her that can be a basis to void the lease...but first she must give the landlord notice of the problem and the chance to fix itPlease let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. I would prefer to talk by phone this leas gen I understand in a marketing executive but this is too impersonal for me to continue like I'm calling the psychic friends network. I'll find legal advice that won't cost me 60 for a phone consultation.
I appreciate your time, but this isn't for me. If you want real qualified exclusive potential clients, get more selective. This mass pay 5 pay 60 pay 350 an hour it's exactly how you definitely do not want to do business on any level & neither does anyone else with common sense. If you have something to offer, we should talk, if your a scheister, go for it. I'm need a knowledgeable attorney not grasping only new leads.Thanks
I sent the offer for a phone call...if you accept I can provide my #