RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

I am a landlord in Florida. I rented my house to a couple

Customer Question

I am a landlord in Florida. I rented my house to a couple who signed the lease on Sunday and paid a security deposit. The move in date was set for May 27.
The day after signing the lease they called to back out and want the deposit back. They put a stop payment on the check and are claiming that they have a 72 hour period their mind. Is this true?
Am I obligated to refund their money?
They requested several improvements to the property which we have already purchased.
I need advice asap.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.The 72 hour "cooling off" period they are referring to refers to the sale of certain goods and other contracts. There is no such law in place in Florida (or federally) that allows a tenant who signs a lease to cancel within 3 days. It depends instead on the terms of your lease. If you allow a tenant to cancel within a set period, then yes, this would be allowable, but typically, a contract is binding and you can hold them to the lease terms, and can actually hold them to any of the penalties contained in the lease for breaking the terms.If you need clarification or additional information, please reply and I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars/happy faces before signing out, so I am credited for my time and assistance today. Thank you!
Just following up with you to see if you needed clarification about my answer or additional information? If not, kindly remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars/happy faces as that is the only way experts on this site are compensated for our time and expertise. Thank you.