barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I am currently renting a room in a house from some individuals

Customer Question

I am currently renting a room in a house from some individuals who I thought were friends (they are a married lesbian couple). The other day, one of the wives went kind of crazy over ice and the other wife gave me a verbal 30 eviction. They then got mad when I blocked them from the Internet which I paid to have it installed and pay for every month (not receiving a dime from them the past almost 3 months that I have had it) and removed the cable and everything so I can't use it. While I was work they started throwing stuff into my bedroom and going through my stuff. Is this legal? I'm in Colorado.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Is this legal?.No, first off the verbal notice is not legally effective as it has to be in writing. As for the internet, if there is nothing in your rental agreement about providing it, you don't have to and are free to limit it as you choose. As for the cable, if they were providing it as part of your lease, then they can't turn it off or are in violation of the lease agreement..And finally, if this was your private room, then they can't enter it unless they give you at least 24 hours notice prior to any entry..So that would give you legal grounds to sue them for breach of contract for damages and for an injunctive order from a judge for them to restore the cable and stay our of your room without proper legal notice..As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years....thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was actually the ethernet cable to the modem. There was actually never anything in writing, just a verbal agreement. The wife that went crazy is now changing the rules of the house like now I don't have a parking space and can't use the washer and dryer which I have always been able to do in the past.
Ok, if this was all a verbal tenancy agreement, then they can make changes, but it takes a written 30 day notice to make any changes under CO law....So any changes that they make without proper legal notice are unenforceable....thanksBarrister