MDLawyer
MDLawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 years in legal practice. Over 5 years in advising clients on landlord/tenant issues, including on a pro bono basis.
16277701

Last year I lost my key to my apartment, the landlord would

Customer Question

Last year I lost my key to my apartment, the landlord would not let me in. I called a locksmith and it cost me $120 dollars to get the lock drilled and replaced. I gave my landlord the other key. They lost it and now want to charge me $75 dollars to drill my lock because I won't serender a key. My position is, I lost a key and paid $120 dollars, now man up and pay your share for a lost key.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 11 months ago.
Hello and thank you for using the Just Answer website. I look forward to assisting you. What is the reason that you won't give them a copy of the key? What was the reason why the landlord would not let you in when you lost the original key? In what city and state are you located?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am in Las Vegas, NV. I won't give them a copy because they wouldn't let me in when I lost my key. So I called a locksmith and it cost me $120 dollars to drill and replace my lock. I gave them a key. They lost it. And now due to there negligence they are telling me that they will drill my lock and charge me $75 dollars. Is that moral or legal?
What was the reason that they did not let you in when you lost your key initially?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I asked them and they said " way to many people lose the key, so we don't do it anymore ". I am disabled and the temperature that night was around 40 degrees. That's really cold for Las Vegas
Thank you for the additional information. Unfortunately since the landlord is the owner and you are the tenant, you are required to give them a copy of the key and they are correct that they have the right to charge you if they need to change the locks. It is legal for them to do so.