Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My apartment building manager just called to inform me

Customer Question

Hi - My apartment building manager just called to inform me that my two metal cabinets on casters must be removed prior to a building inspection tomorrow. They are not blocking the parking space as they are between the wall and the curb. There are no combustible items being stored. There are only my beach chairs, bike helmets, rollerblades, etc.
JA: The Property Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Property Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Property Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I have received nothing in writing, it is less than 24 hours notice, it will cost me appx. $125 to have the items professionally moved, I must now rent a storage unit ($88/month). As a solution, I am willing to have their men temporarily move them into my apartment prior to inspection and move them back immediately after or upon passing inspection.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Property Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am located in Los Angeles, California. In addition, I do not see anything in my lease or house rules stating that I am not allowed to keep any items other than my car in the underground parking garage. With that said, the building manager and several tenants have taken advantage and are storing mattresses, lamps, sofas, etc., in their parking spaces and that is making it a problem for tenants like me who are very considerate.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.
I have carefully reviewed your post. However, I did not see a specific question. What is your question?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The question is whether or not I must move the two metal cabinets.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
In addition, the Uniform Building Code, Chapter 3, Section 311, Group S2 for Low Hazard Storage states that acceptable products can be stored as long as they are not obstructing parking stalls, access to stalls, circulation, exits, vehicles, etc.The building manager is the major offender, probably received a warning by the inspector, and is coming down hard on everyone else as he was storing mattresses, blocking exists, parking stalls, etc.I hope this helps and look forward to your answer.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The metal cabinets have been in the same location for at least 2 years. No written agreement as the landlord allowed this with all tenants. There is nothing in my lease stating that I am not allowed to have these items in this area or that I am.I hope this helps. I'd appreciate it if you would please get back with me today.
Thank you for the information: The question is whether or not I must move the two metal cabinets. Response: You do not have to. However, if the Landlord wants to get some persons to help you move them and then move them back after the inspection, you should probably do that to maintain the peace. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi - Thanks for the response, but it's vague. I'd like to understand the specifics regarding your answer.
If there is nothing in writing from the Landlord that you can or cannot store items there, then it becomes a question of what you should do rather what you must do. Also and more importantly, if the Building Code does not prohibit the storage, then there is no law being broken. However, since you do not have the express permission of the Landlord for the storage, the Landlord can institute a new rule preventing you from using the area as storage if you do not comply with the Landlord's request to move the items.