Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I gave my landlord 1500 to move in 1000 and

Customer Question

hello i gave my landlord 1500 to move in 1000 for first and last month and 500 for and extra month of rent. i have not even moved in my house to due to him oweing an outstanding balance of a sewer bill. my water was turned on but it was off in three days. due to him oweing the sewer company. i have a six month old child and we havent been able to live there. i never slept in the house since i gave him my money. what can i do to get my money back? he's also behind on back taxes havent paid on the propety since 2012
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Legalease replied 6 months ago.
Hello there -- Can you answer a few questions............-Are you sure that this property isnt already in foreclosure or has been foreclosed on already but the old owner simply is not telling anyone and taking money from prospective tenants like yourself ?? Where did you hear about the property and are you sure that you were dealing with the current owner? I ask because the amount you paid seems low for an entire house rental and there are still a lot of people committing fraud on prospective tenants. -MARY