Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert

We have lived in our trailer years. And as the

Customer Question

Hi we have lived in our trailer for many years. And as the years have came by weve also got a new landlord. Never have we had problems with of course. About two months ago we were asked for proof of ownership and we provided that. We pay a monthly fee which is our utitlies. Well for the month of april our landlord said we didnt pay them and we have proof checks etc. So then we get a notice saying we have 3 days to pay or else we'd have to follow up with an eviction notice. So of course we panicked. I called my landlord as soon as i got the notice and asked him about it. He at first was hard to understand, i told him i had proof we had personally dropped off rent in office mailbox. And that as well we could provide proof like copies of the check if that would work. Our balance in the make was still the same so no check had been cashed in and we began to worry. But we just thought that that had to do with the landlord so we didnt question it. As we were on the phone with him i also mentioned all of that and he told us to hold off like wait so we waited because on the phone he stated he couldn't find it. We call again no answer , and now that i went to his office to talk tl him he says he cant accept our pay ment because three days have gone bye. He also mentions that he spoke with my dad about buying our property, which i believe he is now trying to use this all against us. He didnt want to receive any of the evidence and new check we were willing to write because over the phone he CLEARLY states he lost it. He also said to disregard that notice until he could call us back which was supposed to be the span of three days please let help us. We are a family of 6.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  NYFamilyAttorney replied 5 months ago.
Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience. I specialize in family law and appeals, and I have many years’ experience with landlord-tenant issues, employment and contract law. I also have written hundreds of legal articles. I look forward to helping you today.Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. Oh, at the end of this session, I will ask you to please rate me as that’s the only way I get credit for helping you today. Thanks! Please note: I want to help you but I may need some additional information from you. Are you okay with rating me at the end of this session?Also, do you have a lease and when does it end? What's the situation with your father -- he wants to buy your property for you, or what does that mean?
Also, what state is this in? It's not showing up here on my side. Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My mom and dad are the owners. The landlord is trying to snatch up our mobile home. We are located in vallejo california. Twin bridges mobile home park.
Yes, it sounds terrible what he's doing, and I"m sorry you are going through this. Do you have a copy of the check you sent him or anything to show that you sent it to him?Also, would you consider using a legal aid attorney in your area? You could use a landlord-tenant attorney and request legal fees from the landlord, but there's no guarantee the court would make the LL pay it.