Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

We have had no working heaters in our home since December 2014.

Customer Question

We have had no working heaters in our home since December 2014. I have had space heaters until recently when the breakers started tripping. I battled with the landlord to have an electrician come out. The electrician said panel box is not to code. Told us that it was not safe to run the heaters dehumidifiers or bathroom heaters/ fans. We are moving out May 31st. The land led is demanding rent that I refuse to pay because of this. He has told us that we are responsible for all maintenance of the house... That is why the rent is so cheap. What are my rights?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 9 months ago.
Legally landlord has breached your rights. Landlord had to timely repair this. You are entitled to have it fixed and some rent adjustment for the period you suffered without heat. Landlord should agree because otherwise could be further punished in court with award of costs and legal fees.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes I figured that but what does the law state. I want to respond to him in such a manner that he knows I am serious about taking action against him
Legally, he has breached express warranties in any lease you entered, and absent lease implied warranty of habitability.
He has violated your rights to quiet enjoyment of the premises
You may use that in negotiating and if needed, in court. Good luck. Kindly rate me positively. enjoy the weekend.
Kindly rate me positively, thanks.