barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years

My landlord lock the doors to the building so that I cannot

Customer Question

My landlord lock the doors to the building so that I cannot gather my belonging and leave. We agreed to settle whatever monies I owe but when I left to get my movers he changed the locks and would not allow me to get my things
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question..Can you tell me what state this is in?.Is this a residential or a commercial rental?.If it is commercial, is there a clause in the lease that allows the landlord to lock you out if there is a breach of the lease?.Has the landlord gone through court to get an order allowing him to evict?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes I'm in Georgia. It is a commercial rental. No. No
Ok, if this is a commercial rental and there is no "lock out clause" in your lease, then the landlord is not allowed to prevent you from entering without a court order stating so..With that said, you can call the police and have them meet you at the property and they will explain to the landlord that what he has done is illegal and he can't prevent you from accessing the property...thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank You
You are very welcome. Glad to help any time...As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years....If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me...thanksBarrister