Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

My landlord removed my personal property from my storage area.

Customer Question

My landlord removed my personal property from my storage area. I have never been late in paying rent, and I purchased the lock (doorknob) and had the keys, as instructed by the employee who rented the apartment to me. Now the office is saying "it's a mystery" and "the maintenance guys said they didn't take anything out of my storage area, how could they without the key?" I had four tires for my car, my Christmas tree and all of my Christmas decorations, (irreplaceable items of sentimental value) in addition to several other items. They were evicting the neighbor downstairs, and my storage area door is directly outside of the downstairs apartment entrance, but it is not marked that it is my apartment's storage area. The new tenant put all of his stuff in there. He claims the landlord told him it was his. (The employee who rented the apartment to me showed it to me and told me it went with my apartment). The downstairs apartments access their storage area off of the kitchen. The police spoke to the new tenant, determined it wasn't theft since no damage to the door and my key still works, so they said it is a civil matter between me and the landlord. What recourse do I have?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Do you have any evidence that the landlord or the maintenance people removed your property?.And the storage unit is located outside the downstairs apartment, not outside yours, correct?.How would someone have entered the unit without the key? Is there any evidence of a forced entry?..thanksBarrister