Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert

After renting from an individual years we bought a house

Customer Question

After renting from an individual for 8 years we bought a house we did not notify him till we were sure we had the house, well actually the mortgage company contacted him to find out about our information, he told them we were great tenants always paid on time etc. On April 11th he contacted me. I told him I was going to let him know as soon as we were sure and we had just found out that day we got the house. He asked when we were moving out I told him the weekend of the 27th. We had all intentions of paying him thru May 15th. We cleaned the house completely down to the refrigerator. We did not paint or steam clean the carpets but everything else was clean including wiping down the walls and vaccuming. We starting looking because the house was in desperate need of repairs that he was not willing to do or when it was taking care of it took days because he just had his own people do it at there pace which could take days that we had to keep contacting him, which would be okay but they did a subpart job of it. Right before we moved we called because the kitchen sink, dishwasher and garbage disposal were all backed up and the sink was leaking underneath. It took the gentleman 5 days to fix it at a half hour here and there on the second day he left was gone for 2 days and left his tools and mess on the middle of the kitchen floor. I sent the landlord a text and pictures with no response. there many occasions like this one fall the carbon monoxide monitor when off and I contacted the fire department. They said that there were high levels because of the furnace that they turned off. I had the landlord on the phone and the fire department said it needed to be replaced that day, it took him four days. The gutter fell off and was laying on the awning the roof needed repairs, anytime it was windy we lost shingles and was told the roof was fine because it wasn't leaking. When we were moving we told him this and he said he didn't know any of that which is simply not true. He could even see all of this because every month he had us leave the rent in the mailbox and he would pick it up. The garage was unsafe it had no man door and the electronic key pad quit working. We notified him by text because it was hard to get him to answer any calls, with no replies until we just unhooked it and used it manually. We have since moved out. Before May we know for fact he entered the house and a few times since which is no big deal in its self but he wants us to pay all of May due to the lose of income because he said he was unable to enter because we told him we were paying all of Mays rent which is untrue. Now today he says he is going to sue us for all the repairs he had to make and Mays rent. We paid a 750.00 security deposit. Our rent was 750.00 plus an extra 25.00 a month because we got a dog which he okayed before we got him. The only damages we made were to two blinds which we offered to pay for plus Mike offered to pay him 500.00 because he keeps harassing us. He said that wasn't good enough he wants the entire amount plus damages. There was soot damage to the ceiling around the vents from when the furnace malfunctioned that we told him about before the CO2 leak but he said it was from smoking. There was damage to the back door frame that happened when one of his workers replaced the back door not long after we moved in and when we said something to the worker was told it was only cosmetic and wouldn't affect the door, we also told the landlord this when it happened. He is a realtor for ReMax but the homes he rents are his own properties. What should we do concerning this please let us know.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..I need to ask a few questions before I comment.....1. Can you tell me what state this is in?.2. Did you take lots of pictures of the property prior to moving out to document its condition?.3. What date did you actually move out and return the keys?.4. Were you under a fixed term lease or were you month to month?.5. Do you still have any notices you sent the landlord regarding problems or damaged/broken things?..thanksBarrister