Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I have been living in my duplex year and two months.

Customer Question

I have been living in my duplex for a year and two months. Last month I paid my rent on the 3rd. my landlord contacted me on may 3 saying rent was not paid. my in laws live next door, he contacted then 2 seconds after me to tell me the problem. There are privacy laws correct? I couldn't find my slip for the deposit so I made two the next day to avoid issues. My rent Is 800. I deposited 1600 the next day for previous months rent and current months rent. Today I messaged him to let him know my air conditioner needed to be fixed, it has been set on 68 for 2 days and It has been running for 2 days and only 75 in the tiny 800 square foot home. Last spring it had to be filled and the service man told us that it was been leaking for 9 years. He just fills it every year and never fixes it. I told the landlord I want it fixed not fill. His response was money doesn't grow on trees if I have to put in new unit we will have to redo the lease. Is that legal? I have a five year lease. He is responsible for all repairs? Which we have fixed many things he should have fixed. Like the water heater went out last month and he kept insisting that we just didn't pay the gas bill. He has someone coming to fix it 5 days later. So we took care of it so we could have heat and hot water. since he only uses only maintenance guy. There are many other complaints but I need to know what I'm my rights are before I say anything more to him. He can change our lease correct? Or evict us because we want things fixed?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for. What state and city are you in? Have you reviewed your lease to see if their is a grace period in the lease?