LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Disputes, Leases, Evictions, Foreclosures.
9540344

My 72 year-old male tenant lived in the rental year.

Customer Question

My 72 year-old male tenant lived in the rental for a year. He had paid first, last and security deposit. His "girlfriend" has been living with him for about six months, but is not on the lease. Last Tuesday he signed a new one-year lease. Thursday he had a heart attack in the rental's attached garage and died in an ambulance on the way to the hospital. The girlfriend contacted the tenant's family, who immediately came from out-of-town. They went through the the tenant's belongings, took personal things and sold all of the furniture to me. I informed the family that the last-months rent would be applied for May, and that the girlfriend had to leave in the next week. I needed to get the unit ready to re-rent and it needed to be rented as soon as possible. since I would be leaving June 1st for the summer. The girlfriend understood that and agreed to leave by today. Now she is claiming that she would like to attend the tenant's services in California and would like to remain in the rental for ten more days. I don't believe this person has any legal right to live there since she is not on the lease. Can I insist that she leave? Should I call the police? Should I change the locks?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon. Just to be clear you knew about her living there and allowed it?