LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Disputes, Leases, Evictions, Foreclosures.

I purchased a duplex from my father. I allowed the renter's

Customer Question

I purchased a duplex from my father. I allowed the renter's to stay in the duplex under the same lease and did not make them sign a new lease because they were going to move out in 30 days (a mistake I think). They are planning on moving out on the 24th and still have not paid rent. I think they are planning on using their security deposit as the rent. Do I have any recourse?
Now I wonder since I don't have a contract with them can I tell them to pay up or move out?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 5 months ago.
Just to be clear the lease expired so they now rent month to month and they have not paid the rent which was due for
May? Also, what state is the property in?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes the lease is expired and they do rent month to month. And they have not paid for May. The property is in Texas.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Their 30 days are up on the 23rd.
Thank you. If they have failed to pay rent then you can provide them a 3 day notice to either pay or vacate. If they fail to vacate you can proceed with eviction of the rent is not paid. Now, if you just want them out you can evict once the 3o day notice which you gave expires. Not having a lease does not excuse their legal obligation to pay rent. As such you can sue them for the money owed while they continued to occupy.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify anything. I am here to help so just let me know.