Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

Want my deposit back from former landlord $500.00 Can You HELP

Customer Question

Want my deposit back from former landlord $500.00 Can You HELP ME?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. Security deposit disputes are typically filed in Small Claims Court, which tends to be more informal, more user-friendly, and does not require a lawyer. That's good news for you, because most lawyers would charge more than $500 to try a case for you. The state has all the information you need to open a case online, and you're allowed to ask that the other party also be ordered to reimburse your filing fees. (Many lawyers won't take these types of cases for that reason - it's not fair to you.) Here is detailed information on the process.http://courts.mi.gov/Self-help/center/casetype/Pages/SmallClaimsSH.aspx Here is the form with the specific instructions.http://courts.mi.gov/Administration/SCAO/Forms/courtforms/smallclaims/dc84.pdf If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Did you have any other questions about this?