Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney 35 years extensive and active real estate practice; represents both landlords and tenants

Are the laws of a tenant the same if I wish to

Customer Question

Are the laws for eviction of a tenant the same if I wish to sell the property as for non payment of rent? I have both situations. State of Wis - Thank you. Rod
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 5 months ago.
Hello Rod: No, generally, they are not the same. If the tenant is current on rent but you simply wish to terminate the tenancy so you can sell the property, you have to give them at least 30 days notice, assuming it's a month-to-month lease. Otherwise you must wait until the end of the lease and it is a good idea to give them a notice of nonrenewal at least 30 days prior to the expiration of the term. However, if they are delinquent in payment of rent then you may proceed with an immediate eviction. Again, this is a general overview and is not intended to be a step-by-step description of the processes involved. I hope this is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating for my assistance.