Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

Who is responsible expenses when a faulty and leaking

Customer Question

Who is responsible for moving expenses when a faulty and leaking pipe leading to the laundry room is found under the tenant's ground floor unit? The management has a agreed to offer another unit in the same complex but relocation and moving expenses would be at tenants expense.The tenant is 83 and unable to relocate without professional help which she cannot afford.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.Based solely on the facts you gave, the owner (or entity responsible for) the pipe itself would be the most likely to be responsible for the expenses. However, if they don't agree to pay the expenses then the only thing that can be done is to pursue them through the court. There is no way to make them pay the expenses without that.If it is rental unit, as opposed to a unit owned by the tenant, then the landlord would be responsible.