How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 112774
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** ***** live in a rent stabilized apartment.

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** live in a rent stabilized apartment. Which I just found out. I'm in housing court for rent arrears. So I'm seeking help with feps. In order for them to help they need to a rent break down and a up to date lease. I went to my landlord and asked for both. She is refusing to give me a renewal lease and the rent break down. I went to court and did a order to show cause so I don't have enough time and she's not gone give me the renewal. Also she said I can't get a renewal cause all adults in the household must be on my lease but I don't want to add no one to my lease. What should I do??? I can't get help with the arrear without those documents.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, you need those documents to get assistance. Do you have adults living in the property who are not on the lease? Does the lease require you to put all adults on the lease?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The lease don't state that all adults must be on the lease And yes I do my sister stays with me. I been in this apartment since 2013 and had roommates she never said a word til my sister and her kids came.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, upon renewal she can ask for you to add all of the adults, but she cannot refuse to give you the documents you need for assistance. Furthermore, in your court case, you need to argue that the landlord is the one in breach of the lease for refusing to give you documents necessary to get the arrears paid and to resolve the matter and as such it is she who is causing the problem and she should be "estopped" from benefiting by her own conduct that breaches the lease. You could be forced though to put the adults on the renewal, the landlord can insist upon that if they choose.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions