Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

I live in orlando Florida. Landlord agreed to 1yr lease at

Customer Question

I live in orlando Florida. Landlord agreed to 1yr lease at 1600/mo. Never gave me a signed lease like he promised. I have paid him every month for the past 6 months now. This month I have been texting/calling every day to try and pay him since the 1st, he has been refusing to accept payment, and now after 5 days, he said he is raising the rent by 300/mo to 1900 and demanding me to pay immediately. Please help.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 7 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. Experts on this site receive credit for assisting you when you click the rating (the stars) so please submit a rating prior to logging off. You aren't charged anything extra by submitting a rating. I would not pay him his increased rent. I would argue that you have an oral contract and on which you relied and therefore he cannot unilaterally change your rent without your consent. Then I would send him a check for the old amount. Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. I'd be happy to do so. I'm also available by phone if that would help you. Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance; this will not cost you anything extra and it's the only way we get credit for assisting you. If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative rating so that I may try to clarify anything that may be unclear to you. My goal is to make sure that you are satisfied with the assistance you've received, so if there's anything else I can do to help you, please let me know.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The landlord is threatening to evict me if i do not pay him immediately.
He is also a lawyer who owns a law firm here in Orlando with several lawyers working for him as well.
Please advise on what I should do? Thank you.
He's a lawyer so that changes things - but only a little. He could begin eviction proceedings (which take time) - which would give you the ability to explain to a judge that you have been living there for 6 months and all the while have been requesting a lease.
He essentially just thinks you'll cave rather than fighting this. It's up to you whether you want to do that - or you want to fight it. Or you want to look for a new place in the meantime.
Hi. I wanted to just check in, to see if you needed any additional assistance.