Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

We have a lease, we pay $1.080.00 a month here in Modesto,

Customer Question

we have a lease, we pay $1.080.00 a month here in Modesto, ca. We paid our rent on time, never late. Now they are telling us and other tenants that have been here for sometime that the rent was prorated, and that I need to pay more for the month of may, like $163.00 We are limited income, we are seniors with a disabled brother, who lives with me. There was no legal notice about this prorate increase.2, they have raised the rent from this also to $1.405.00 starting in june 2016. There was no proper legal notice to tell us that they had prorated the rent, in the middle of the month, we thought we had to next month to start paying for the new raise, When we signed the new lease for this year, we thought it was like before, from year to year, since I moved here at the end of the month of May 2013 and has always been that way, from year to year,apparently not the management told they are doing different in the middle of the month they are collecting more??? the company is in Boston, and the management really don't give a dam. can you assist us, we don't have any one to turn to, we don't like what's going on .Is it legal to change a contract in the middle regardless if they said they gave us 60days, yet it said noting about prorate, or pay more then my contract says for the month May. thank You, ***** *****
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. What is the termination date in your current lease?