Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

I rented a condo years and from the start I requested

Customer Question

I rented a condo for three years and from the start I requested repairs and maintenance on a number of issues with the property. They never made any of the requested repairs. Finally, after three years I moved out because i felt the property was unsafe for my two toddlers. I gave the landlord 2 months notice and they had the place re-rented before we ever left. Several months later they sent me a letter saying that they were keeping my $1400 security deposit, and suggesting that they will sue me if I do not send them an additional $3500 for repairs, including all of the items I had been asking them to repair for years, and asking me to pay for replacing toilets and sinks. What can I do? Can I counter-sue? I only moved out because the home was unsafe and they would not fix anything.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 7 months ago.
You can defend their claim by noting their failure to make repairs. You may also counter sue for breach of your tenancy rights including seeking back rent paid and any repairs or maintenance you covered out of pocket, plus costs, interest and legal fees.