Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.

My wife and I were living in an apartment when then my wife

Customer Question

My wife and I were living in an apartment when then my wife lost her job and we could not afford the cost. I notified the property officer worker; spoke with him 3 times to advise him of our circumstances but I never signed any paperwork. When we moved out to stay with family members temporarily I turned in the keys and gate passes. There was no damage to the apartment. The rent was 1368. He paid a down payment of that amount to the apartment complex when we moved in. They apartment is charging us 2400 dollars for failure to give 60 notice they did not return our down payment can we fight the charges owed.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 5 months ago.
were you under a lease? are you asking if the amount charged is correct?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I'm asking if im responsible for paying it when they already kept my deposite
The deposit is not a cap on damages. If no lease, you only needed to give 30 day notice and deposit suffices. If there is a lease and you broke it early, landlord could charge for the balance of lease or until get new tenant or such other amount as lease provides - whichever is less. Kindly let me know if the answer is clear and acceptable.
Please click on a positive rating.