insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer; developer/owner of RE developments.

I gave 30 days notice on my rental Friday. They showed house

Customer Question

I gave 30 days notice on my rental Friday. They showed house on Sunday. I received a call that they felt the carpet was dirty and I have to have it cleaned within 4 days and have it cleaned again before I leave at the end of the month.
My lease states I have to have carpet cleaned before I leave, I am fine with that. Do I have to comply and have it cleaned twice?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 5 months ago.
Hi Terri. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. Can you provide me just a bit more information? How long have you lived there? Was the carpet new when you moved in? Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have lived there for one year. The carpet was new when I moved in.
Thanks! No, you absolutely have no legal obligation to clean the carpet now. You need only clean it when you leave. The fact that it may or may not be clean at the moment has no relevance. If the landlord wants it cleaned now, the landlord can do one of two things: i) he can pay to have it cleaned now himself; or ii) he can agree in writing that if you clean it now, that he waives any right to require you to clean it when you leave and waives any right to withhold any amount from your security deposit for the carpet when you leave. Otherwise, you have no legal requirement to clean it now and he has no legal right to require you to do so. Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!