Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

I own house rent out rooms but maint a room with cholthes

Customer Question

i own house rent out rooms but maint a room with cholthes and belongings what laws apply i have one person refuses to work off rent can i put his things in street
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. It is illegal in all 50 states for a landlord to evict a tenant without following appropriate procedures, which means serving a written notice, waiting the appropriate amount of time, and then getting a court order. You're considered a landlord even when someone is just renting a room in your house, even if you don't have a written lease. Your tenant could sue for a court order requiring that you let him back in, and if his clothes are damaged or stolen, he could also sue you for their value (or the costs of repairing/cleaning them). Some states also levy punitive damages against a landlord who displaces a tenant in this manner. So, NO, that unfortunately is not an option available to you - you could get sued. If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.